If both you and your partner want to invest in and reinforce or mend your marriage, consider getting marriage counselling to help you reach that goal. Written here are some important things you can do to prepare yourself to make the sessions fruitful and meaningful.
1. You should keep in mind that your marriage counselor isn’t responsible for fixing your relationship. He acts as a guide in making important changes on your own, which happen mostly outside of the office.
2. The sooner you and your partner enter marriage counselling when challenges surface, the better. Often, couples wait until they are on the point of ending their marriage before seeking professional help. Marriage counselling therapy can still help in such situation, but it’s best not to wait for this to happen. Taking charge of the issues in your marriage and not allowing them to tear both of you apart can empower you.
3. You and your spouse should consider and recognize the roles you both have in the issues. It’s very easy to point a finger on the other person and quite difficult to take responsibility. Now is the time to prepare for own your part. However, if you’re not ready yet that is okay. But, remember that this will eventually emerge soon in your marriage counselling process.
4. You and your partner should reflect about what your marriage really means to you and whether you and your partner are willing to make the necessary changes. When you and your spouse make positive changes that are meaningful to your better half, they serve as reinforcement and could encourage more positive changes. You may not be ready to make changes right away, but this will also be explored in the process.
5. Know that you cannot change your partner. Often, couples attend marriage counselling pointing a finger on other person. Instead, focus on the changes that you’re willing to make.
6. Don’t think of your relationship problem as “unfixable.” Keep in mind that it’s not the severity of a problem that determines how long the marriage can last. The important thing is how how the individuals involved communicate about the problem. Your marriage counselor will teach you effective communication strategies and skills that could help you establish trust and reconnect with each other.
To have an effective marriage counselling, ponder on the points discussed in this article before attending your first therapy. Visit Victorian Counselling & Psychological Services by following the link given to get more details about how marriage therapy will work for both you and your spouse.
Plan a Wedding Resources